Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Vestiti e cibi

Things are going well here in Siena. I have Italian class several times a week along with my class on Immigration and Social Change. All of this stuff is so interesting! I found out that we are going to the hot springs Friday evening for our reflection class, which should be lots of fun. I'll give you an update about that at the beginning of next week.

I am really enjoying my service placement at the clothing distribution site. The people that I work with are fantastic and everyone that comes to get clothes are very appreciative. I feel like this opportunity has been among the most rewarding and humbling of my life thus far. I constantly feel like I am getting to see what Italy really looks like all of the time, instead of just seeing it through the eyes of a tourist.

But I do have a fantastic update! Lunedi, the group had our own cooking class and it was so much fun. We handmade pappa col pomodoro, zuppa, peci, gnocchi, e tiramasu' and ate it all! I wasn't so great with the peci, but am a gnocchi-making machine. We got le recette so I plan on trying again when I get home, but I am not so sure that any of it will taste as great as it did here.

But now, I'm off to the market with la mia amica Cathy to do some homework...and maybe find a sale or two.

3 comments:

Momma & Dad said...

Hello, I am glad that you are learning a lot. Papa is doing well. I miss you and love you lots. Take care and learn to cook more. Love from here to there and back, Momma xoxoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

So, next semester when I randomly go to Italian classes I am not in and ask for you to come along, will you make gnocchi? Or, you should just make it and take it to "Mr.Creech!" I can make him a giant cookie in the shape of Italy. We can go together! Italy like usual sounds amazing from your blog. I hope to read another post soon! I know you are having an amazing time. I was too lazy to try and think in Italian this time; next time I promise I will!

Amo te!!
Samantha

Andrew said...

So does that mean that you will have an Italian food night? I have yet to have any gnocchi, although I hear it is good!

We can trade, fondue for gnocchi! :)