Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A domani!

Here I am just a few hours away from the beginning of my trip and I can hardly believe that it is actually happening. I have been saying that my summer plans are to go to Siena for so long that it didn’t seem possible that I would ever get there. As the interval has gotten shorter and shorter, I found myself scurrying around to make sure that I had everything in order to leave. Let me tell you, it’s fairly difficult to predict everything that I will need and anticipate all the challenges that may arise while I’m abroad. Thankfully, I was heartily prepared by the International Studies Office and il miglior professore Massimo.

Still, I must admit that I am a wee bit nervous. This is the first time that I am traveling alone and I am feeling a lot of weight from the responsibility--which has chosen to reside in my temples and has given me an awful headache. I am quite used to fitting into one of two roles: the caretaker or the caregiver. Without anyone to distract me I will have to be focused on myself. Now this may be part of the point of studying abroad, but depending on what you know about me this may seem like an extremely simple task. Those of you who call me “Mama Sam” should chat with my mother and convince her otherwise. (I love you, Mom!)

I received an email from la mia cugina Gianna asking that I let her know when I will arrive in Rome, but all of my replies have bounced back. I suppose that I will just call her when I get there, but it is a little upsetting that I will have to wait to meet her!

Before I sign off I have to tell you about the going away gift that my neighbors Garry, Samantha, Connor, and Josh gave me—it was a goodie bag for the trip complete with 2 magazines, great snacks, and a St. Christopher medal. I had been fretting about what jewelry I should wear since I know that the valuables should remain at home, but I think this is perfect! I’ve linked information about St. Christopher, but the short story is that he is—or was (see the link)—the patron saint of travelers. And soon that’ll be me! Thanks for all of your support. A presto!

5 comments:

marie said...

I'm so excited for you!!! I can't wait to read more & more. Don't worry about traveling on your own, you're fully capable of doing so, I PROMISE! Lots and lots of love :)

Bekah said...

Buon viaggio! Hahahaha, as soon as I started typing this an Italian song came on my Pandora station - one that has never come on before. It's called "Paria Piu Paino" and it's sung by an artist named Patrizio. Pandora must have sensed that I was thinking about la mia amica en route to Italia. Te amo, bruna! Mi manchi molto, molto, molto - but I am trying to be big about it :)

Anonymous said...

samantha cibelli
i love you like crazy. its 3:19pm here in dublin, which means its probably about 10am-ish in NC, which means you are probably getting ready (if you haven't already) to board a plane. Wave when you go over me!!
i know that you will have a marvelous time. and you are MORE than capable of taking care of yourself--you're a pro! a champ! a wonder! I love you incredibly much and i can't wait to hear about your travels!!!!!!
Love,
abbey

Momma & Dad said...

We are so excited that you arrived in Italy safe and sound. We know that the language barrier can be difficult at times, but think of all that you will learn. Remember it is through difficult times that we learn what we can do and it will surprize you. We love you- remember to Live the Moment and Cherish the memories. Love from here to there and back.

Unknown said...

samantha bruna!!!
Spero che lei ha un tempo fantastico! Come è Siena? Mi manchi tanto però ti stai divertendo molto in Italia. aggiorni presto!

te amo,
samantha bionda